Canadore College Finance 101: Your Guide to Applying for Financial Assistance
Learn how to apply for scholarships, bursaries, and other awards.
This is an exciting time for you. You are about ready to start your post-secondary education, and you have chosen to attend Canadore College. The first day of school is still a few months away, but it is never too early to start your college financial plan.
Canadore College offers an extensive financial assistance program for both full-time and part-time students, with approximately $1.7 million in scholarships and bursaries offered every year. A college education is affordable!
Canadore has many scholarships, bursaries, and awards available to students, based on merit and financial need. Here are the steps you should follow to apply for the funding available.
Where to begin:
- Before applying for any Entrance Awards, Bursaries, or Scholarships, you should read all of the donors' criteria to ensure you qualify for the award listed.
- If you feel you qualify for a particular award, bursary, or scholarship apply with the proper online application. When completing the individual online applications, you must complete the budget calculator, as it will be an important factor in determining whether you will be selected for the award.
- If you qualify based on the award's criteria, a pop-up will open within the online application for you to type in a short explanation about how you meet the requirements for the selected award.
Important information about application deadlines:
Application sites for all Awards, Bursaries, and Scholarships are active as of May 1, 2020.
Again, you must apply on-line for the Entrance Awards, Bursaries, and Scholarships. Any date changes will be reflected on the Canadore College website.
- The application period for Entrance Awards opens May 1st and closes for the year on August 31st.
- Please review all of the awards and their criteria.
- Successful applicants for Entrance Awards will be informed by email at the beginning of October.
- The application period for Bursaries opens October 1st and closes for the year on October 31st.
- Review all bursaries and their criteria before applying.
- Bursaries are awarded on the basis of financial need and/or satisfactory academic progress.
- Successful applicants are announced twice a year (end of November for fall semester and beginning of March for winter semester).
- Successful applicants will be informed by email.
Since 1972, Canadore College has been awarding scholarships to deserving students, based on a combination of academic excellence, attendance, and overall classroom contribution.
Last year, 144 scholarships were awarded.
- The application period opens November 1st and closes for the year on November 30th.
- Review all of the scholarships and their criteria before applying.
- Successful applicants will be informed by email at the beginning of March.
Here's the link to learn more about what is available and how to apply: https://www.canadorecollege.ca/get-started/money.
Other financing options:
Discretionary Bursaries are available to students in need of emergency funding and applications can be submitted at any time during the academic year.
Emergency Loans are available on a short-term basis only. These loans are distributed to students who are waiting for funding to come in (ie: OSAP). All loans are fully repayable. Loan applications may be submitted at any time during the academic year.
For any questions or further information on any of the financial assistance options, please contact Finaid@canadorecollege.ca.