University of Birmingham Creates Scholarship in Honour of 2022 Commonwealth Games
Students beginning a masters degree this fall at the University of Birmingham can earn a £3,000 scholarship.
You may have heard of the Commonwealth Games, an international sporting event that takes place every four years, that happened in the UK over the past few weeks. Whether you’ve been avidly watching the events, seen it in the news, or haven’t heard about it at all, it has more of an impact on you than you may think.
But how could a sporting event that took place across the ocean impact you? Well, did you know that some of the events were hosted at the University of Birmingham — the Commonwealth Games’ official partner? In honour of our partnership with the games, we’ve created a generous scholarship that you may be eligible for!
University of Birmingham Commonwealth Scholarship
Amount of award: £3,000
Deadline: August 31, 2022
If you’ve been wanting to study abroad, Birmingham is a great place to do so! Especially since you could be eligible for the University of Birmingham Commonwealth Scholarship. This award is worth £3,000 and is available to all international students who come from countries that participate in the Commonwealth Games 2022. The scholarship is intended for students seeking to study a Master’s degree at Birmingham in the 2022/2023 academic year.
Am I eligible?
£3,000 is a significant amount of money that can ease your financial concerns. So, are you eligible? In order to be considered for the award, you must:
- Have applied for, and receive an offer of admission for, a taught Master’s degree at the University of Birmingham UK campus, to study in the 2022/23 academic year
- Be classed as “domiciled” (the country where you are a habitual resident) in one of the Commonwealth countries
- Be classed by the university as an overseas fee payer (international student) for tuition fee purposes
- Start your studies on-campus at the university in September/October 2022
Pretty straightforward, right? If you aren’t sure whether your country is considered a Commonwealth country, check out the full list of eligible countries — but to save you some time, Canada is on that list!
How do I apply?
Pretty easily actually — you don’t! This scholarship is automatically offered to all eligible applicants. So, all you need to do to accept the scholarship is formally accept your offer to the University of Birmingham by the deadline stated on your offer and pay the admissions deposit by August 31, 2022. Super simple!
So, now that you know all about the significant scholarship opportunity from the University of Birmingham, learn a bit more about this year’s Commonwealth Games.
The Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games
The Commonwealth Games have been held every four years since 1930, bringing together countries in celebration of sport and human performance. This year, the event took place from July 28 to August 8. Often referred to as the “Friendly Games,” the event inspires athletes to embody the core values of humanity, equality, and destiny as they compete in a friendly and fair spirit. Athletes participate in a wide variety of sport events such as beach volleyball, judo, hockey, weightlifting, boxing, swimming, and much more.
As the games have ended, the final medal standings have been calculated. Canada placed third behind Australia and England in terms of overall medals, with a total of 97 medals — 26 gold, 32 silver, and 34 bronze. Canada won gold in events like women’s beach volleyball, women’s 4 x 400m relay race, women’s 3x3 basketball and wheelchair basketball, and men’s freestyle 97 kg wrestling.
University of Birmingham — official partner of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games
At the University of Birmingham, we played a key role in delivering an outstanding international sporting event. To deliver the games, we’re proud to be the:
- Official host of hockey and squash
- Official host of the largest athlete’s village
- Official training venue for Swimming and Athletics
- Official catering provider for athletes, spectators, Games family, and workforce
- Accommodation provider for Technical Officials and Sponsors Workforce
- Hosting multiple Commonwealth Games Associations (CGA’s) at Edgbaston Park Hotel
- Hosting multiple Games stakeholders conferences and events across our campus venues
- Over 100 staff and student volunteering for the games
- Over 450 students employed on campus supporting the games
There you have it! A significant scholarship mixed in with exciting sports events! Although the games have ended, the scholarship deadline isn’t over yet! Accept your offer to the University of Birmingham and submit the admissions deposit by August 31, 2022 to get £3,000! If you have any questions about the scholarship, check out our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Explore the University of Birmingham Commonwealth Scholarship