How to Apply to a British University

By Middlesex University Modified on November 25, 2019

Your simple guide to collecting your documents and submitting your application.

Students enjoy the sunny, grassy campus of Middlesex University in the UK, after navigating the admissions process to get there.

Each university in the United Kingdom will have its own guidelines, but generally speaking, these are the most common documents you will need for your application.

1. High school transcripts and certificate of completion (diploma)
In most (if not all) cases, offer letters are based on your academic qualifications. Chances are that by the time you apply, you won't have completed high school, and that's okay. At this point you should provide provisional transcripts of all four years of high school, and once you obtain your final transcripts and diploma, just send those over to the university.

For Middlesex University London, as a Canadian student, you'll need at least five grade 12 courses with 60% or higher, depending on the program you're applying for. We also accept IB diploma and other qualifications, so it's best to check with the university by e-mailing to get some personalized advice.

2. Personal statement
Your personal statement should answer these questions: 'What do you want to achieve professionally?', 'How do you plan to do that?', and 'Why do you think that this program, taught at this university, will help you achieve your goal?' This is your chance to highlight your profile to the faculty and admissions teams, so don't forget to showcase your strengths and perhaps provide some explanation as to why your profile looks a certain way. Share your story!

3. Academic reference letter
We hope you have a good relationship with your college advisor and teachers, because they're the ones who will have to write your academic reference letter. This should be on letter-headed paper and signed, and for Middlesex University at least, you can upload it yourself. However, other schools might require your referee to send their letter directly, so it's best to check with each institution individually.

4. ID page of passport
If you are a dual citizen, send a scanned copy of each passport you possess. Make sure that your passport is valid for at least six months beyond the start of your program, because this is the document that the university will use to sponsor your student visa.

Other things to note:

Art & Design, performing arts and media programmes often require a portfolio, show reel or audition piece. Please see the entry requirements listed in the program's online profile and the interviews & portfolios tabs for more information.

To apply:

As a rule of thumb, students must apply via the Universities and Colleges Application System, most commonly known as UCAS. This is an online application portal where students can apply for up to five universities and programs simultaneously. It costs about $43 CAD, and all British universities accept applications via UCAS.

Alternatively, at Middlesex University London, international students can make a free, direct application via their online application system.

All British universities have a team dedicated to international students, so feel free to reach out to each individual university's team (contact details are generally found on their website) and find out more about the academic entry requirements and how to complete an application.

Good luck! We look forward to seeing you in the UK.

account_balanceMore About This School