Residence Life at York University
A Breakdown of York U’s Residences and How to Apply
York University’s residence application deadline is approaching fast, which means it’s time to talk about residence life at York U! Living in residence allows you to immerse yourself in York U’s campus experience and make new friends during your first year. In addition, Residence Life staff, including Dons (senior-student mentors), provide guidance and support to ensure that you have a smooth transition to university life.
If you’re wondering which York residence is right for you, here is a breakdown of the different residences on our Campuses as well as some tips on how to choose the perfect fit.
Residence Options: Keele and Glendon Campuses
York U’s Keele Campus features several undergraduate residences which offer different living styles, including traditional and suite styles. Traditional styles include standard single and double bedrooms. Washrooms and lounges are shared, and residents are required to purchase a meal plan. There are also suite-style residences that have ensuite kitchens and bathrooms as well as some residences that have gender-specific and year-specific floors. Meal plans are optional for suite-style residents. Explore York U’s residences below to get a sense of your on-campus housing options:
- 1. Bethune Residence - offers accommodations in traditional style on upper floors and suite-style on lower floors.
- 2. Calumet Residence - a unique residence layout featuring Houses, each home to around 22-44 students. Each house is suite-style, with six people to a suite.
- 3. Founders Residence - Keele’s original residence offers a traditional setting that is typically reserved for York University English Language Institute students.
- 4. Pond Road Residence - the popular residence for upper-year students, with two-person suites and full kitchens.
- 5. Stong Residence - a traditional style residence.
- 6. Tatham Hall Residence - features traditional style accommodations, as well as two female-only floors and one male-only floor.
- 7. Vanier Residence - a traditional style residence.
- 8. Winters Residence - offers traditional style rooms and some semi-private suites.
If you’re a Glendon student entering your first year of university, you are guaranteed a spot in residence as well. Glendon offers two residence buildings, Hilliard and Wood. Take a virtual tour of Glendon’s residence buildings to see which one is right for you!
- 1. Hilliard - traditional style rooms with shared bathrooms and one female-only floor. Hilliard offers double rooms, small-single rooms, single rooms, large-single rooms, super-single and semi-private rooms.
- 2. Wood - traditional style rooms with shared bathrooms for residents on the same floor. Wood offers female-only floors and room sizes include double, single, large single and super single occupancy. Wood residence also has a few semi-private rooms.
If you want to learn more about residence at Glendon, visit the Glendon Housing website.
One of the biggest benefits of living on campus is convenience. It is important to choose a residence that is close to your classes. Many students also select a residence preference based on their Faculty/program of study. For more detailed information about how the residences are linked with Faculty programs, please check the program affiliations at the Keele Campus.
Residence life provides a strong sense of community for new students. You get to know your neighbours and your Don (senior student mentors) through events, trips and house meetings. York University also supports first-year residents’ transitions into university with their First Year Experience Program. This program offers the opportunity for first-year residents to develop lasting connections with the YU Community, your Dons and your residence. Learn more about residence Selection & Placement on YU’s Housing Services website.
Are you planning to attend York University in the fall? Guarantee yourself a place in residence by applying before the June 1 deadline. We look forward to seeing you on campus!