Prepare for Takeoff

By Nipissing University Modified on January 18, 2019

What you need to know before starting your academic journey in Canada


Studying in Canada will be one of the most fulfilling experiences of your lifetime, and there are some important details to consider before starting your journey.

Exchange or Degree
How long you stay in Canada depends on whether you enroll as an international exchange student at an educational institution abroad, or apply to complete an undergraduate degree or graduate degree program. Exchange students typically study in Canada for one or two semesters. Alternatively, degree and graduate programs take 3-4 years to complete and lead to a Canadian degree.

Application and Admission
Each educational institution has something unique to offer its students, and it’s important to find the school that best suits your needs. Make sure you research each one individually because every school and program has their own admission requirements, specific course requirements and language proficiency expectations that need to be met in order to be accepted. If you are planning to complete an exchange, you must meet the requirements of your home institution. Once you have narrowed down your options, it’s time to apply! Depending on the province to which you are applying, the application process varies slightly.

Study Permits and Visas
As soon as you accept an offer of admission to a designated Canadian institution, you can begin applying for the necessary permits and visas. The length of your stay in Canada and the country you are travelling from will determine what documents you will require. Most international students will require a study permit, but you may also need a temporary resident visa or an electronic travel authorization. Make sure you apply for these BEFORE you travel to Canada.

Still have more questions? Find answers to the most frequently asked questions on Nipissing University’s International Office website.

account_balanceMore About This School