|Biotechnology applies the principles of biochemistry and biology to the study and manipulation of living organisms for industrial, medical, agricultural and environmental applications. Some areas of biotechnology include genetic engineering, metabolic engineering, personalized medicine, drug development, applied microbiology and fermentation techniques, and biological control of insect pests. In the Ottawa area, local companies and government agencies are involved in projects such as biofuel production from agricultural waste, the development of medical diagnostic screening devices, and the development of new anti-cancer and antimicrobial therapies.
The extensive laboratory training provided in this program will give you the experience you need to work in a laboratory environment. A co-op option is also available to develop your skills in some of the varied employment settings within the National Capital Region, across Canada and around the world. Biotechnology is offered as a specialized Honours program in conjunction with Biology or Biochemistry.
|Grade for Entrance Previous Year (%)*||78 to 82
|These courses are intended as guidelines. Speak to your guidance counsellor to see what courses are offered at your school.
Calculus and Vectors is strongly recommended.
- Grade12 Advanced Functions
- 2 of Grade12 Biology or Grade12 Earth and Space Science or Grade12 Chemistry or Grade12 Physics
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) [min. 60] or Canadian Academic English Language Assessment [min. 70] or Test of English as a Foreign Language (Internet Based) [min. 86] or International English Language Testing System (academic or immigration) [min. 6.5]
* The entrance grade may change from year to year. Please contact the school for further information.
* We make every attempt to provide accurate information on prerequisites, programs, and tuition. However, this information is subject to change without notice and we highly recommend that you contact the school to confirm important information before applying.