|Map genes. Examine microbes. Crack the secrets of the genome, the program of life. When you study Cell and Molecular Biology, you get a front-row seat to study the basic processes that run life’s playbook. As a cell and molecular biologist, you can discover how genes shape organisms, how immune cells protect our body and how biotechnology can develop pest- or drought-resistant crops for the developing world.
Our Biology Department laboratories feature modern equipment and protocols that introduce you to state-of-the-art technologies for cell physiology and molecular biology. Small class sizes foster strong student-professor relationships. As a Cell and Molecular Biology student, you'll follow both the biology core curriculum and courses focused within your specialization. Through labs, lectures and tutorials you will:
- Study the mechanisms of cellular interactions and genetic controls in plants and animals
- Study the structure and function of microbes
- Learn the techniques used to study genetic function, gene mapping and genome analysis
- Perform original research as an undergraduate
Concordia’s hands-on approach provides a solid foundation for a career in the life and health sciences or paves the way for future graduate studies.
|Grade for Entrance Previous Year (%)*
|These courses are intended as guidelines. Speak to your guidance counsellor to see what courses are offered at your school.
Quebec CEGEP: 26
- Grade12 Precalculus or Grade12 Calculus or Grade12 Calculus and Vectors
- 2 of Grade12 Biology or Grade12 Physics or Grade12 Chemistry
- Calculus 1 and Calculus 2 – Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism and Wave, Optics and Modern Physics – General Chemistry and Chemistry of Solutions – General Biology
- OR Natural Science DEC
- OR DEC intégré en sciences, lettres et arts.
High School: Specialization: B overall, B in math / sciences, Major: C+ overall, C+ in math / sciences
- One math from Pre-Calculus, Calculus, or equivalent
- Two sciences (from Biology, Chemistry or Physics)
See the program page on our website for more details on admissions requirements, including requirements for International Baccalaureate, Baccalauréat français, GCE, or university transfer applicants.
* The entrance grade may change from year to year. Please contact the school for further information.
* We make every attempt to provide accurate information on prerequisites, programs, and tuition. However, this information is subject to change without notice and we highly recommend that you contact the school to confirm important information before applying.