Mining Engineers

(NOC 2143)


In general, you need a university degree in your chosen field of engineering. You may also need a master's degree or doctorate in a related engineering field. You need a licence from a provincial / territorial association of professional engineers to approve engineering drawings / reports and to practise as a professional engineer (P. Eng.). As an engineer, you are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, after three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering, and after passing a professional practice examination. With experience, you can move up the ranks to become a supervisor. Most recent entrants have an undergraduate university degree, and almost 3 in 20 have a graduate degree.

Degrees Associated with This Career


Useful Experience/Skills

Project management
Committee work on industry ethics
Team project work
Proposal writing
Making presentations
Financial management

Useful Secondary School Subjects

Computer-related courses

The University of Queensland
Brisbane, AU

Related Program(s):
Mining Engineering Bachelor; Honours
Request Info
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, CA

Related Program(s):
Mining Engineering Bachelor; Co-op
Mining Engineering Bachelor
Request Info
University of New South Wales
Sydney, AU

Related Program(s):
Engineering (Mining) Bachelor; Honours
Request Info
view all
Modified on January 26, 2022