(NOC 2151)


In general, you need a university degree.

To be an architect, you must have a professional architecture degree and two years' experience with a registered architect or studies from the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada syllabus program, and eight years' experience with a registered architect. You must register with your provincial/territorial association and pass the Architect Regulation examination. In Quebec, you must be a member of the professional corporation for architects.

To be a landscape architect, you need a bachelor's degree in landscape architecture. You may also need a master's degree. You need to finish a two-year internship, and in Ontario and British Columbia you need to write a provincial registration exam. In the remaining provinces, you usually need two years' design experience and an interview to obtain certification with your provincial association.

Degrees Associated with This Career


Useful Experience/Skills

Project management
Team project work
Proposal writing
Making presentations
Financial management

Useful Secondary School Subjects

Computer-related courses
Blueprint Reading

University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Architecture Bachelor; Co-op; Honours
Request Info
Carleton University
Ottawa, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Architectural Studies Bachelor; Honours
Request Info
Robert Gordon University - Graduate Programs
Aberdeen, Scotland, GB

Related Program(s):
Architecture (Part 2) Master
Architectural Studies Master
Request Info
IE University
Madrid, ES

Related Program(s):
Architectural Studies Bachelor
Request Info
University of East London
London, England, GB

Related Program(s):
Architecture (ARB/RIBA Part 1) Bachelor; Honours
Architecture (ARB/RIBA Part 1) (with Foundation year) Bachelor; Honours
Request Info
view all
Modified on May 10, 2012