The Electronic Recycling Association (ERA) is excited to announce the return of two scholarship opportunities! The competition runs from January 1st, 2024 to September 1st, 2024, giving you plenty of time to see how many donated devices you can collect.
- $1 Million Dollar scholarship: Collect 1 million laptops and smartphones (suitable for donation) Canada-wide, and win
- $100K Dollar scholarship for 100K approved devices
People can ship their items at no charge to ERA, using ERA's shipping labels, get the items picked up for free from their homes by FedEx, UPS, Canada Post, or direct from an ERA truck if in the appropriate location. Non-approved items will be accepted, but only with a small fee. Items collected that pay the fees will also be counted towards the scholarship count totals.
Accepted Items for both scholarships:
- desktop computers
- retro gaming consoles and computers, handheld gaming devices
- corporate computer equipment
- servers, switches, business routers
- scientific equipment
How to Collect Items:
1. Get individuals and businesses to download the ERA App iOs or Android or website form. Enter scholarship ID [Scholarship + Your Name] in the Reference Code field of the Shipping label. ERA will collect items from homes and businesses on your behalf at no charge for approved items. Non-approved items will be accepted for a fee, but will still count towards the scholarship totals if the fees are paid. (credit card, e-transfer, etc.)
2. Organize corporate pickups on behalf of ERA, collecting computers for donations to our list of 500+ charities and nonprofits. ERA will pick up 10 or more computing devices from any company Canada-wide, and offer hard drive destruction for any amount of hard drives contained in the computing devices. 100 devices, 100 hard drives shredded at no charge.
3. Organize community events or collection events for computers and electronics.
The e-waste collection process is the most important part of this contest! By all means, be sure to apply for the scholarship, but please recognize that collecting electronic recycling and e-waste in your community is the focus of the program. The more discarded devices you collect, the better your chances at receiving the grand prize!