Saint Mary's University
|School:||Saint Mary's University
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts
|Field of Study:||Asian Studies/Civilization
|Description:||The Asian Studies degree program at Saint Mary's University has been in operation for over twenty years. In that time frame, the Arts and Commerce Faculties have played a vital part in helping Saint Mary's students understand Canada's changing role in a global society and especially in defining its relationship with Asia. An informed knowledge of Asian languages and cultures is an essential component to this program and every effort is made to assist students of the program to travel to Asia and experience this vast continent themselves. Students are encouraged to pursue a double major in Asian studies and a related discipline.
Students will write an honours thesis in the final year of study and also have the option of pursing a co-op track. Please see the program website for further requirements for completing the honours program.
|URL:||Asian Studies at Saint Mary's University
|Cost per year:*||
|Grade for Entrance Previous Year (%)*||70 to 100
These courses are intended as guidelines. Speak to your guidance counsellor to see what courses are offered at your school.
Students entering directly from high school are required to have completed five academic Grade 12 subjects, including English, with an average grade of 70% and no grade below 60%.
- Canadian Academic English Language Assessment [min. 60] or International English Language Testing System (academic or immigration) [min. 6.5] or Test of English as a Foreign Language (Paper Based) [min. 550] or CanTEST [min. 4.6] or Test of English as a Foreign Language (Internet Based) [min. 80]
If your first language is not English, you must demonstrate that you have the English language skills necessary to be successful in Saint Mary’s University degree programs. The acceptable standards for admission to Saint Mary’s University are:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - 550 (PBT); 80 (iBT);
- International Test of English Language Testing System (IELTS) – minimum 6.5 with no individual score below 6.0;
- CanTEST – minimum 4.5 with no individual score below 4.0;
- Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL) – minimum 60 with no individual band below 50;
- University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations Certificate of Advanced English (CAE) with grade of A, B or C;
- Pearson PTE score of 58; or
- Successful completion of the highest level of English for Academic Purposes administered by the TESL Centre at Saint Mary’s University.
* The entrance grade may change from year to year. Please contact the school for further information.
* We make every attempt to provide accurate information on prerequisites, programs, and tuition. However, this information is subject to change without notice and we highly recommend that you contact the school to confirm important information before applying.