|The one-year Diagnostic Cardiac Sonography Ontario College Graduate Certificate provides you with the essential theoretical knowledge and technical skills required to produce, evaluate and diagnose sonographic images of the heart and surrounding structures. Ultrasound is an important, non-invasive diagnostic tool used to identify the anatomical and physiological state of internal organs. Working independently and in collaboration with healthcare team members, Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographers capture, analyze and identify a variety of complex ultrasound images. These images assist cardiologists in the diagnosis and management of different heart diseases in children and adults.
Through theory, simulation, laboratory practice and extensive clinical experience, you learn to manipulate sound waves to create images of the human heart. By applying principles of safety and quality assurance, you ensure the safe and proper use of ultrasound equipment in the clinical setting. In addition, you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills as you adapt theoretical knowledge to clinical practice. You work within an inter-professional healthcare team to deliver safe patient assessment and imaging, consistent with the best practice standards for diagnostic cardiac sonography.
|These courses are intended as guidelines. Speak to your guidance counsellor to see what courses are offered at your school.
Ontario College Diploma, Ontario College Advanced Diploma, Degree or equivalent in a Medical or Health related field.
|Application Notes :
|- All applicants must complete an assessment through the Test Centre, and will be required to pay the current fee of $50 (subject to change). Results from the health program assessment will be utilized to establish minimum eligibility and also ranked, with the highest ranked applicants given priority admission. The health program assessment can only be written once per academic cycle.
- International applicants must provide proof of the subject specific requirements noted above along with proof of either: (IELTS / TOEFL) IELTS-International English Language Testing Service (Academic). Overall band of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each band; OR TOEFL-Internet-based (iBT)-overall 88, with a minimum in each component: Reading 22; Listening 22; Speaking 22; Writing 22.
- Applicants with international transcripts must provide proof of the subject specific requirements noted above and may be required to provide proof of language proficiency.
- Standard First Aid - you must have a valid Standard First Aid certificate which is valid for a three (3) year period and a Health Care Provider (HCP) CPR C and Automated External Defibrillation (AED) Certification in order to attend any clinical practice which must remain current for each academic year of your program until graduation. Please note that CPR certification course is specifically designed for Health Care Professionals, course provides training on skills required for Adult, Child, and Infant Resuscitation; One and Two Rescuer, First Aid for Choking, proper use of barrier devices in resuscitation, AED and Bag Valve Mask. Please note that on-line CPR courses do not meet the re-certification standards required for your program.
- Accepted applicants must submit a Health Assessment form and provide an Immunization Certificate prior to entry to the program. Applicants must have complete immunization including Hepatitis B, and T.B. test (a Chest X-ray is required if the T.B. test is possibility) and are required to have annual immunization for influenza by some clinical affiliates.
Students in the program must be fit-tested for N-95 masks as required.
* We make every attempt to provide accurate information on prerequisites, programs, and tuition. However, this information is subject to change without notice and we highly recommend that you contact the school to confirm important information before applying.