|Play with atoms. Make molecules. Explore the building blocks of matter that are at the root of all sciences. Peer into the microscope for an intimate look at the behaviour and energy of the tiniest elements in the universe. As a chemist, your mastery of chemical reactions could lead to the creation of environmentally friendly materials like compostable plastics or medications that fight disease.
Our Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry features state-of-the-art labs and equipment that introduce you to techniques used in the field. Small class sizes foster strong student–professor relationships. Both Chemistry and Biochemistry students follow a core curriculum and through labs, lectures and tutorials you will:
- Receive a solid foundation in carbon-based (organic) and non-carbon (inorganic) chemistry
- Learn to identify compounds, analyze the structures they form, and study the mechanics and energetics of chemical reactions
- Receive extensive training in research methodology
- Perform original research as an undergraduate (honours and specialization students only)
Our honours and specialization in Chemistry programs are accredited by the Ordre des chimistes du Québec.
|Grade for Entrance Previous Year (%)*
|These courses are intended as guidelines. Speak to your guidance counsellor to see what courses are offered at your school.
Quebec CEGEP: Specialization: 23, Major: 23
- 2 of Grade12 Chemistry or Grade12 Physics or Grade12 Biology
- Grade12 Precalculus or Grade12 Calculus or Grade12 Calculus and Vectors
- Calculus 1 and Calculus 2 – Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism and Wave, Optics and Modern Physics – General Chemistry and Chemistry of Solutions – General Biology
- OR Natural Science DEC
- OR DEC intégré en sciences, lettres et arts.
High School: Specialization: B overall, B in math / sciences, Major: C+ overall, C+ in math / sciences
- One math from Pre-Calculus, Calculus, or equivalent
- Two sciences (from Biology, Chemistry or Physics)
See the program page on our website for more details on admissions requirements, including requirements for International Baccalaureate, Baccalauréat français, GCE, or university transfer applicants.
* The entrance grade may change from year to year. Please contact the school for further information.
* We make every attempt to provide accurate information on prerequisites, programs, and tuition. However, this information is subject to change without notice and we highly recommend that you contact the school to confirm important information before applying.