|Got a green thumb? VIU's 9-month Horticulture Technician Program prepares students for a broad range of jobs in the horticulture field, from landscaping and landscape design, to nursery work and greenhouse production, to management positions.
This landscaping program differs from other horticulture programs as large parts of it are taught at the G.R. Paine Horticultural Centre, a 32-acre site close to VIU's Nanaimo campus at which students grow bedding plants, ornamental nursery materials, native plants and forest seedlings. Students also work at Milner Gardens and Woodland, a 70-acre estate in Qualicum Beach with an established seaside garden that is open to the public. About 50 per cent of this horticultural program is hands-on training, including three months of paid work in the industry.
|These courses are intended as guidelines. Speak to your guidance counsellor to see what courses are offered at your school.
- Grade12 English
- Grade11 Mathematics
- Graduation from BC secondary school, or equivalent from another school system,
- Minimum 17 years of age, unless stated otherwise.
- Resume and/or personal profile and/or references may be required.
- Interview may be required.
- Mathematics and/or reading and/or trades aptitude test may be required.
- Physically fit and able to adapt to working conditions.
- Good hand/eye coordination.
- Good health, free of vision, hearing or respiratory ailments.
- Valid driver's license will be required for vehicle and equipment operation.
|Additional Admission Requirements:
- Letter(s) of Reference
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
* We make every attempt to provide accurate information on prerequisites, programs, and tuition. However, this information is subject to change without notice and we highly recommend that you contact the school to confirm important information before applying.