|When you study Therapeutic Recreation, your passion for people shapes you into an agent for change. As a therapeutic recreation specialist, you assess individual leisure needs in order to design specialized programs for individuals with physical, social, intellectual, or emotional disabilities. You may work alongside a team of occupational and physical therapists and social workers to maintain or improve a client’s quality of life and enhance his or her independence.
The curriculum bridges the classroom and the outside community, giving you real-life experiences that hone your leadership and teamwork skills. You’ll also:
- Understand individual and societal influences on leisure behaviour in the practice of therapeutic recreation and administration
- Learn to assess individual and community needs in order to develop, coordinate and implement special events and programs for diverse populations
- Engage in fieldwork with community organizations to evaluate the success of therapeutic recreation programs
Concordia’s hands-on approach provides a solid foundation for future graduate studies in such fields as recreation and leisure studies, organization or community development or public or business administration. Students graduate with practical skills that let them flourish in the health-care services sector.
|Grade for Entrance Previous Year (%)*
|These courses are intended as guidelines. Speak to your guidance counsellor to see what courses are offered at your school.
No specific courses are required. See the program page on our website for more details on admissions requirements, including requirements for CEGEP, International Baccalaureate, Baccalauréat français, GCE, or university transfer applicants.
* The entrance grade may change from year to year. Please contact the school for further information.
* We make every attempt to provide accurate information on prerequisites, programs, and tuition. However, this information is subject to change without notice and we highly recommend that you contact the school to confirm important information before applying.