Security Guards

(NOC 6651)


In general, you usually need a high school diploma.

To be an airport security guard, you receive training from your employer.

If you work as a security guard for the federal government, you must be trained to Canadian General Standards Board standards. People in other security/guarding occupations may also get training.

If you are required to carry a firearm, you need a gun licence.

To be an armoured car driver, you need a driver's licence.

With experience, you may move up the ranks to become a senior security guard or supervisor.

Many recent entrants have a community college diploma.

Degrees Associated with This Career

High School Diploma

Useful Experience/Skills

Safety procedures
Assessing situations
Dealing with the public

Useful Secondary School Subjects

Physical Education
Social Studies

Modified on May 20, 2012