Family, Marriage and Other Related Counsellors

(NOC 4153)


You usually need a master's degree in counselling, mental health or a related social service field.

In Quebec, you need a master's degree in psychoeducation to practise as a psychoeducator and you must be a member of l'Ordre professionnel des conseillers et conseillères d'orientation du Québec.

You must be a member of your provincial/territorial association, meet strict graduate education criteria, and complete supervised clinical work to be allowed to use the titles "Registered Marriage and Family Therapist" or "Registered Clinical Counsellor".

For certain areas of counselling, you may need an undergraduate degree or college diploma in social science.

You may become specialized in a particular area through training/experience.

With additional training/experience, you may move up the ranks to become a social service manager.

Most recent entrants have an undergraduate university degree, and almost 1 in 10 has a graduate degree.

Degrees Associated with This Career


Useful Experience/Skills

Interpersonal skills

Useful Secondary School Subjects

Social Studies
A second language

Durham College
Oshawa, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Community Mental Health Bachelor; Honours
Request Info
Liberty University - School of Graduate Studies
Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Related Program(s):
Marriage and Family Counseling (M.A.) Master
Marriage and Family Therapy (M.A.) Master; Online
Request Info
view all
Modified on January 26, 2022