Securities Agents, Investment Dealers and Brokers

(NOC 1113)


In general, you must have a university degree or college diploma in economics, business or other related discipline. You may be able to substitute investment, sales or other related industry experience for a post-secondary education.

To be a securities sales representative or trader, you need to complete industry investment/sales training programs as well as the Canadian Securities Course and the Registered Representative Manual Exam offered by the Canadian Securities Institute. If you wish to specialize in specific products, you can take specialized courses.

To be a securities agent, investment dealer or trader, you must obtain a licence issued by the securities commission in the province/territory where you'll work.

With experience, you may move up the ranks to become a manager.

Most recent entrants have an undergraduate university degree, and about 1 in 10 has a graduate degree.

Degrees Associated with This Career


Degree Modifier


Useful Experience/Skills

Knowledge of the global economy
Decision-making under pressure
Internet research

Useful Secondary School Subjects

Computer-related courses

Trent University
Peterborough, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Economics (B.Sc.) Bachelor; Honours
Economics (B.A.) Bachelor
Request Info
Brock University
St. Catharines, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Economics Bachelor; Co-op; Honours
Economics Bachelor; Honours
Request Info
Santa Monica College
Santa Monica, California, US

Related Program(s):
Economics Associate; University Transfer
Request Info
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Biotechnology/Economics Bachelor; Co-op; Honours
Mathematical Economics Bachelor; Co-op; Honours
Request Info
Carleton University
Ottawa, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Economics Bachelor
Mathematics and Economics Bachelor; Co-op; Honours
Request Info
view all
Modified on July 10, 2012