Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists

(NOC 3141)

Career Description

Audiologists diagnose, evaluate and treat individuals with peripheral and central hearing loss, tinnitus and balance problems. Speech-language pathologists diagnose, assess and treat human communication disorders including speech, fluency, language, voice and swallowing disorders. Audiologists and speech-language pathologists who are supervisors are included in this unit group.

Duties May Include


  • Develop and administer audiometric tests and examinations using specialized instruments and electronic equipment to diagnose and evaluate the degree and type of patients' hearing impairment
  • Plan and implement habilitation/rehabilitation programs for patients, including selection, fitting and adjustment of amplification devices, such as hearing aids, balance retraining exercises and teaching speech (lip) reading
  • Educate and counsel patients and families regarding the nature, extent, impact and implications of hearing loss and treatment
  • Establish personalized care plans working as a member of an interdisciplinary team
  • Conduct research related to hearing and hearing disorders
  • May instruct and supervise audiometric technicians, students and other health care personnel.

Speech-language pathologists

  • Administer tests and examinations and observe patients to diagnose and evaluate speech, voice, resonance, language, fluency, cognitive-linguistic and swallowing disorders
  • Develop, plan and implement remedial programs to correct speech, voice, language, fluency, resonance, cognitive-linguistic and swallowing disorders
  • Establish group and personalized care plans working as a member of an interdisciplinary team
  • Educate and counsel patients and families regarding communication and swallowing disorders
  • Conduct research on speech and other communication disorders and on the development and design of diagnostic procedures and devices
  • May instruct and supervise communicative disorders assistants, students and other health care personnel.

Examples of Titles

Audiology clinician
Certified Audiologist
Clinical Audiologist
Educational speech-language pathologist
Research Audiologist
Speech Therapist
Speech-language clinician

Where They Work

Audiologists and speech-language pathologists are employed in hospitals, community and public health centres, extended care facilities, day clinics, rehabilitation centres and educational institutions, or may work in private practice.

Here are some schools that have programs related to this career:

Brock University
St. Catharines, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Applied Linguistics - Hearing Sciences Bachelor; Honours
Request Info
University of East Anglia
Norwich, England, GB

Related Program(s):
Speech and Language Therapy Bachelor
Request Info
Cardiff Metropolitan University
Cardiff, Wales, GB

Related Program(s):
Speech & Language Therapy - BSc (Hons) Bachelor; Honours
Request Info
University of Southampton
Southampton, England, GB

Related Program(s):
Audiology (BSc) Bachelor; Honours
Request Info
Laurentian University/Universite Laurentienne
Sudbury, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Orthophonie (BScS) Bachelor
Request Info
view all
Modified on February 26, 2020