Court Officers and Justices of the Peace

(NOC 1227)


Court officers usually require a university degree in law or business or public administration or a college diploma in public administration or legal studies.

Completion of a justice registrar, justice of the peace or other court training program is required for court officers and justices of the peace.

Several years of experience as a court clerk or in another court service occupation are usually required.

Justices of the peace in the provinces are appointed by the lieutenant governor in council and, in the territories, by federally appointed territorial commissioners.

Degrees Associated with This Career


Brock University
St. Catharines, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Political Science - Public Law Bachelor; Honours
Request Info
University of Guelph-Humber
Toronto, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Business Bachelor; Honours
Justice and Public Safety (Degree Completion for Professionals) Bachelor; Online
Request Info
The King's University
Edmonton, Alberta, CA

Related Program(s):
Commerce Bachelor
Request Info
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Environment and Business Bachelor; Co-op
Recreation and Sport Business Bachelor; Co-op; Honours
Request Info
Carleton University
Ottawa, Ontario, CA

Related Program(s):
Commerce Bachelor; Co-op; Honours
Commerce Bachelor; Honours
Request Info
view all
Modified on May 17, 2012