St. Lawrence College
|School:||St. Lawrence College
|Field of Study:||Veterinary/Animal Health tech./Technician and Veterinary Assistant
|Description:||This is a one-year, hands-on program focusing on the skills required to work in careers involving animal care. Students spend a large portion of their time working with animals. At the local Humane Society, students develop safe handling skills and learn how to perform physical examinations and treatments. The students operate the SLC "Scruffy Dog Salon” where they groom dogs under the supervision of a trained professional grooming instructor. Lab time is also spent learning surgical support techniques and basic clinical laboratory procedures which aid in the diagnosis and treatment of disease in domestic animals.
The program is structured around four areas:
• Animal Diseases, Care and Restraint, and Grooming
• Laboratory and Surgical Support Preparation and Maintenance
• Front Office Management and Marketing
• Support Studies
|URL:||Veterinary Assistant at St. Lawrence College
|Cost per year:*||
|Careers:||Veterinary Assistants and Animal Health Technologists||
These courses are intended as guidelines. Speak to your guidance counsellor to see what courses are offered at your school.
- Grade12 English
- Grade11 Mathematics
Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent. The majority of Grade 11 and 12 courses must be college or university preparation level. Students must also meet certain health requirements (see website).
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (Computer Based) [min. 213] or Test of English as a Foreign Language (Internet Based) [min. 79] or Test of English as a Foreign Language (Paper Based) [min. 550] or International English Language Testing System (academic or immigration) [min. 6.5] or Canadian Academic English Language Assessment [min. 60]
* We make every attempt to provide accurate information on prerequisites, programs, and tuition. However, this information is subject to change without notice and we highly recommend that you contact the school to confirm important information before applying.