|Faculty:||Skilled Trades and Apprenticeships
|Field of Study:||Construction Trades, General
Construction Trades, Other
|Description:||Sustainable Renovations is a new, 15-week, compressed program that is unique in Canada. It is modeled on Fleming College’s successful Sustainable Building Design and Construction program concept. You will work on a ‘real world’ renovation project involving a wide variety of sustainable systems and materials - to understand the complexity and challenges of green renovation.
What You Learn
* You will learn how to assess existing buildings and their systems and components
* Obtain a theoretical and practical understanding of building science, and green building principles to promote a holistic understanding of the * complexities and interdependence of renovation projects
* Understand administrative aspects such as permits and contracts, building codes, costing, incentive and rebate programs, energy assessment, urban site management and materials recycling and reuse
* How to carry out the actual construction and installation of sustainable improvements, including overseeing hiring and coordination of qualified installers
* You will complete the concept for a unique renovation project with a client, practicing client relations and how to be an informed advocate for green building
* How to select and use sustainable renovation materials and techniques based on the principles of house-as-system, environmental and social responsibility and business profitability.