Confederation College

Label Label Label

Native Child and Family Services

Save Compare

Program Information

School:Confederation College
Faculty:Community Services
Degree:Diploma; University Transfer
Field of Study:Aboriginal Studies
Family and Community Services
Description:Pijashig! Kwe Kwe! Tunngahugit! She:kon! Aanii! Boozhoo! Tansi! Taanishe! Hello! Bienvenue! Are you committed to social justice for Indigenous families and communities? Do you have a passion for working towards the healthy development and welfare of Indigenous children and youth? Are you interested in becoming a Registered Social Service Worker? Look no further, this is program for you!

Indigenous communities throughout northwestern Ontario often experience cultural, geographical and other barriers to service. Confederation College’s Native Child and Family Services program focuses on how to effectively overcome these barriers. You’ll learn how to help connect people with the services they need in their everyday lives in Thunder Bay and throughout the region. Most importantly, you’ll learn how to work with Indigenous children and families and advocate for a better future for Indigenous peoples. Topics covered include social services, Indigenous language, culture and history, contemporary Indigenous society, Indigenous healing interventions and practices, child welfare and development, social justice and advocacy, governance, policy and so much more. Expand your ways of knowing, challenge your positionality, learn ways to decolonize and embrace Indigeneity. The time for Indigenous resurgence is now.
URL:Native Child and Family Services at Confederation College
Length:2 Year(s)
Cost per year:*
National: $4,414
International: $13,748

This cost estimate is for Year 1 of the program. Please note that fees are estimated and are subject to change. Fees shown on this page are for full-time students attending the main Thunder Bay campus.

Careers:Community and Social Service Workers

Admission Requirements


These courses are intended as guidelines. Speak to your guidance counsellor to see what courses are offered at your school.

  •  Grade12 English 

Applicants are required to have an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (or equivalent) with courses from the College (C), University (U), University/College (U/C), or Open (O) preparation levels with Grade 12 English (C/U) Level; or successful completion of the Mature Student Assessment; or successful completion of the General Education Development Test (GED); or appropriate credits from the Academic and Career Entrance program (ACE). If you do not meet these admission requirements, we encourage you to consider the College Access or General Arts and Science Certificate or General Arts and Science Diploma programs or Academic and Career Entrance program (ACE); if you successfully complete one of these programs, you will be eligible to apply to programs in the Community Services area.

* We make every attempt to provide accurate information on prerequisites, programs, and tuition. However, this information is subject to change without notice and we highly recommend that you contact the school to confirm important information before applying.

Modified on July 27, 2020