University of Victoria

Label Label Label

Social Work

Save Compare

Program Information

School:University of Victoria
Faculty:Human and Social Development
Degree:Bachelor; Distance
Field of Study:Social Work
Description:What is your vision of social justice? Where do you see yourself making a difference? The School of Social Work offers a program of studies leading to the degree of Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) that is fully accredited by the Canadian Association for Social Work Education. Graduates are employed in a wide range of government and voluntary organizations such as family and children's services, hospitals, women's services, corrections and Indigenous social services. Our program emphasizes structural, feminist, Indigenous and anti-oppressive analyses. In addition to the comprehensive standard BSW program, we also offer child welfare, Indigenous, and Indigenous child welfare specializations. Learn more about these options under BSW specializations and requirements.

You may choose to complete the program requirements through distance education, with a mandatory five-day session held on-campus at UVic as part of the SOCW 312 program requirement. Distance education courses provide students residing in Canada an opportunity to create a flexible, full- or part-time program of studies. Please note that distance education courses are not facilitated internationally.
URL:Social Work at University of Victoria
Length:2 Year(s)
Cost per year:*
National: $6,428
International: $22,783
Careers:Social WorkersCommunity and Social Service WorkersSocial and Community Service WorkersSee More...

Admission Requirements


These courses are intended as guidelines. Speak to your guidance counsellor to see what courses are offered at your school.

    Completion of a minimum of the first two years (30 units) of an undergraduate program at UVic, with an overall average of at least 4.0 (on the UVic 9.0 point scale) or better, or the equivalent at another university or community college on the last 12 units of university-transfer course work at the time of application (up to and including December).

    Test Scores:
    • Canadian Academic English Language Assessment [min. 70] or Test of English as a Foreign Language (Internet Based) [min. 90] or International English Language Testing System (academic or immigration) [min. 6.5]

    * We make every attempt to provide accurate information on prerequisites, programs, and tuition. However, this information is subject to change without notice and we highly recommend that you contact the school to confirm important information before applying.

    Modified on August 11, 2018