|Biochemistry may not give you the answers to the meaning of life, but it can tell you how life works. As a biochemist, you will study the chemical processes that occur within the cells of living organisms. You could use your knowledge of cellular processes and molecular inheritance to combat disease, engineer pest-resistant crops, or develop microorganisms to clean up oil spills.
Our state-of-the-art labs and equipment include the Biomolecular Function, Interactions and Structure facility (BIOFINS) which houses a collection of instruments that is unique in Eastern Canada. Small class sizes foster strong student–professor relationships, and our teaching labs introduce you to the techniques used in the field. You will also:
- Study the role of proteins, carbohydrates and lipids in cellular processes
- Examine biochemical responses to toxic compounds in the environment
- Receive extensive training in research methodology
- Perform original research as an undergraduate (honours and specialization students only)
Concordia’s honours and specialization in Biochemistry programs are accredited by the Ordre des chimistes du Québec.
|Grade for Entrance Previous Year (%)*
|These courses are intended as guidelines. Speak to your guidance counsellor to see what courses are offered at your school.
Quebec CEGEP: Specialization: 23, Major: 23
- 2 of Grade12 Chemistry or Grade12 Biology or Grade12 Physics
- Grade12 Precalculus or Grade12 Calculus or Grade12 Calculus and Vectors or Grade12 Advanced Functions
- Calculus 1 and Calculus 2 – Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism and Wave, Optics and Modern Physics – General Chemistry and Chemistry of Solutions – General Biology
- OR Natural Science DEC
- OR DEC intégré en sciences, lettres et arts.
High School: Specialization: B overall, B in math / sciences, Major: C+ overall, C+ in math / sciences
- One math from Pre-Calculus, Calculus, or equivalent
- Two sciences (from Biology, Chemistry or Physics)
See the program page on our website for more details on admissions requirements, including requirements for International Baccalaureate, Baccalauréat français, GCE, or university transfer applicants.
* The entrance grade may change from year to year. Please contact the school for further information.
* We make every attempt to provide accurate information on prerequisites, programs, and tuition. However, this information is subject to change without notice and we highly recommend that you contact the school to confirm important information before applying.