|The Earth Sciences program at Carleton offers you the opportunity to study the Earth’s systems, incorporating knowledge from other sciences including physics, biology and chemistry. You will learn about processes (such as evolution, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, plate tectonics and mountain building, formation of hydrocarbon reservoirs and mineral deposits) influential in the Earth’s geologic past that establish our present and future global development. The program offers the opportunity to participate in hands-on field courses that can take you to sites throughout Ontario, across Canada and around the world.
Honours students may enroll in concentrations such as Finance: Resource Valuation; Geophysics; Resource Economics; or Vertebrate Paleontology and Paleoecology; or in Combined programs with Biology, Chemistry or Physical Geography that provide a broader understanding of fields related to Earth Sciences. Honours and Major graduates are eligible to apply for Professional Geoscientist registration in Canada—an important designation in the job market. Some Earth Sciences students may be interested in taking a minor in Business or Geomatics.
|Grade for Entrance Previous Year (%)*
|78 to 82
|These courses are intended as guidelines. Speak to your guidance counsellor to see what courses are offered at your school.
Calculus and Vectors is strongly recommended.
- 2 of Grade12 Biology or Grade12 Chemistry or Grade12 Physics or Grade12 Earth and Space Science
- Grade12 Advanced Functions
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) [min. 60] or Canadian Academic English Language Assessment [min. 70] or Test of English as a Foreign Language (Internet Based) [min. 86] or International English Language Testing System (academic or immigration) [min. 6.5]
* The entrance grade may change from year to year. Please contact the school for further information.
* We make every attempt to provide accurate information on prerequisites, programs, and tuition. However, this information is subject to change without notice and we highly recommend that you contact the school to confirm important information before applying.