|Faculty:||School of Engineering Technology and Applied Science
|Degree:||Diploma; Online; Advanced
|Description:||Our Biotechnology - Advanced program prepares you with the scientific principles, techniques and skills required in industrial microbiology and chemistry. In this applied science program, you'll also study biotechnology applications, biochemistry, microbial genetics and clinical and environmental microbiology.
In Biotechnology - Advanced courses, you will learn to:
- Isolate, enumerate and identify microorganisms from many types of samples.
- Accurately calibrate and use instruments such as pH and BOD meters, gas chromatographs, spectrophotometers, HPLCs, centrifuges, PCR thermocyclers and gel electrophoresis equipment.
- Prepare media and reagents to culture pathogenic microbes.
- Design and perform advanced microbiology and microbial genetics experiments.
- Isolate DNA and perform gel electrophoresis and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) on samples.
This course will be offered with hybrid delivery. Hybrid programs combine the best of both worlds: hands-on experience in our labs on campus, and remote access to virtualization software, plus recordings of our laboratory activities. Some courses are held in labs, but the first semester can be completed at a distance for those unable to travel. Students studying hybrid programs in Toronto will have scheduled lab activities on-campus in the fall and winter semesters. Students studying hybrid programs online will have access to new simulation software, virtualization software and recorded virtual lab demonstrations to gain in depth knowledge. If students are unable to travel to Canada, the first semester of 30 programs can be completed online (including online and hybrid options).
|Cost per year:*||
This cost estimate is based on two semesters, and includes incidental fees.