|Why does one person develop a debilitating disease early in life while another lives to be 100? How can we engineer microbes to produce new drugs or develop sustainable technologies? How can we develop better conservation strategies based on our understanding of the genetic diversity within a species?
The potential to explore these questions has exploded in our modern age of big data and data analytics. Thanks to advances in scientific and digital technologies, we can now collect vast amounts of information about biological systems, revolutionizing our ability to understand the world around us. But in order to access the insights offered by massive data sets, researchers need the language and tools of computer science.
The BSc in Systems and Information Biology will place you at the rich intersection of biology and computer science. Through lectures, labs and research projects, you will learn how to use computational and bioinformatic approaches to explore the biological sciences. Depending on your path through the program, you will learn about:
- molecular and cell biology
- computer coding and algorithms relevant to the biological sciences
- genomics and biological data sciences
- mathematics, statistics, and modelling
- ecology and evolutionary biology
Concordia’s hands-on approach provides a solid foundation for a career in the life sciences or environmental sciences, or paves the way for future graduate studies.
Students who are more interested in studying these issues with a foundation in computer science may wish to consider the BCompSc in Health and Life Sciences.
|These courses are intended as guidelines. Speak to your guidance counsellor to see what courses are offered at your school.
Quebec CEGEP: 30 overall, 28 math, 28 science
- Grade12 Precalculus or Grade12 Calculus or Grade12 Calculus and Vectors
- 2 of Grade12 Biology or Grade12 Chemistry or Grade12 Physics
- Co-op: 30 overall
- Calculus 1 and Calculus 2 – Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism and Wave, Optics and Modern Physics – General Chemistry and Chemistry of Solutions – General Biology
- OR Natural Science DEC
- OR DEC intégré en sciences, lettres et arts.
High School: A- overall, A- in math / sciences
- One math from Pre-Calculus, Calculus, or equivalent
- Two sciences (from Biology, Chemistry or Physics)
See the program page on our website for more details on admissions requirements, including requirements for International Baccalaureate, Baccalauréat français, GCE, or university transfer applicants.
* We make every attempt to provide accurate information on prerequisites, programs, and tuition. However, this information is subject to change without notice and we highly recommend that you contact the school to confirm important information before applying.