Get to Know the UCalgary Campus
Take a tour, take a hike, and explore.
There is no better way to get to know the University of Calgary than to go on a campus tour.
On a Future Student Tour, you can explore UCalgary with a current student as your guide. You'll get a feel for the campus, facilities, classrooms and student services. A university staff member will be available to answer your questions afterwards.
Ahead of the fall semester, it's a good idea to do the Incoming Students Tour. Get acquainted with the main campus and have your UCID number handy so you can pick up your Unicard.
You can also take advantage of one of the many custom tours UCalgary offers based on your interests. As an example, you can get an insider's perspective on what it's like to study at the Schulich School of Engineering. Led by a current student, you will get a look at the Canadian Natural Resources Limited Engineering Complex, some of our research labs, classrooms and state-of-the-art amenities.
Prospective commerce students can take part in Hike to Haskayne. This tour includes a look around Scurfield Hall, the hub of Haskayne School of Business, as well as an information session on our Bachelor of Commerce program in our new Active Learning Classroom.
Some campus landmarks you may want to explore include:
- Leon the Frog: Restored in 2017, this pun-filled story about being lost in space lines the staircase in the social sciences building.
- The Paperclip: Also known as the Spire, this was built to capture the Olympic spirit. The structural components symbolize human movement and exploration.
- The Zipper: This renowned sculpture, built in 1975, is said to bring good luck.
- Arch: Located at the south entrance, the Chinook Arch was part of a bridge that connected campus to the Capitol Hill neighbourhood. It emulates the university's connection with the surrounding community.
- The Rock: Excavated where the social sciences building stands today, these rocks serve as an informal message board for students. They have been around almost as long as the university.
account_balanceMore About This School