Questions You Should Ask University Liaison Officers
Liaison officers can help you figure out if a university is the right fit for you.
When a university liaison officer visits your high school, or you visit campus for an open house or tour, you’ll have a chance to ask questions. But, where do you start?
First, identify what matters most to you. Take a look at the categories and questions below. Which ones are high on your priority list and what do you want the answer to be? If you narrow down the list, you’ll have a few important questions to ask the next liaison officer you meet.
- What programs do you offer in (subject)?
- Is the program structured or flexible?
- Am I able to take electives or are my courses pre-determined?
- Can I mix and match majors and minors from different faculties/programs?
- Are there any enriched/specialty programs?
- What city/town is the university located in?
- How far away is it from my home?
- What transportation options will I have to travel back and forth?
- What are some of the attractions and fun things to do in the city?
- How will I get around the city? (for example, is a city bus pass included, or do I have to buy it?)
- What are the prerequisite courses for (program/faculty)?
- When is the application deadline?
- Is there a supplemental form, audition, interview, portfolio or anything else?
- What happens after I apply?
- Is the campus large, medium or small?
- Is the campus contained or open, and what does that mean?
- What amenities are on campus?
- How far away is downtown?
- How can I book a campus tour?
- When are the campus open houses?
- Am I guaranteed a spot in residence?
- When is the deadline to apply for residence?
- How many buildings are there?
- What styles of residence are there?
- Is residence co-ed? Single-gender? Mixed-gender?
- How does the university determine which residence I will live in?
- How close are the dining halls to the residence buildings?
- Is a meal plan mandatory?
- How does the meal plan work?
- What types of food options will I have?
- What varsity or intramural sports do you have?
- How many student clubs are there and what are they?
- What options will I have to get involved at the university?
- Can I do experiential learning in (program/faculty), such as an internship or co-op?
- Can I work, study, or research abroad?
- What support services are available at the university?
Liaison officers want to help you compare your options and make a choice that feels right. There are lots of other questions you might want to ask, this is simply a place to start.
If you’d like to speak with a liaison officer at Western University, you can email email@example.com or call 519-661-2100.
Good luck on your journey to university!