Instructors and Teachers of Persons with Disabilities

(NOC 4215)


To work as an instructor or teacher of persons with disabilities, you usually need a bachelor's degree in special education or a related field such as psychology or social work. In some instances, a community college diploma and appropriate experience may replace a university education.

You must finish an appropriate training program in rehabilitation or special education.

To be a teacher working in public schools, you need a provincial/territorial teaching certificate.

To be an instructor of persons who are blind, you need certification by the Canadian National Institute for the Blind.

Most recent entrants have an undergraduate university degree, and almost 1 in 10 has a graduate degree.

Degrees Associated with This Career


Useful Experience/Skills

Interpersonal skills
Client/customer needs assessment
Facilitation skills
Volunteer work with disabled persons

Useful Secondary School Subjects

English (Communication)
Social Studies
A second language

Modified on May 19, 2012