|School:||The University of British Columbia - Vancouver - Faculty of Graduate Studies|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science|
|Field of Study:||
Atmospheric Sciences and Meteorology, General
|Description:||The Department of Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences at UBC, one of the largest geoscience groups in Canada is composed of over 40 full-time faculty, a staff complement of 30, a total of 40 research associates and postdoctoral fellows. There are 160 graduate students in our department, who are represented by our EOAS Graduate Student Council. Our Department's research extends from pure science studies of the earth's deep interior, through near-surface geological studies and environmental earth science, to the oceans and atmosphere. UBC earth scientists draw on a broad base of knowledge from the basic sciences of chemistry, physics, biology and mathematics.
The M.Sc. thesis based program consists of twelve credits of thesis, 18 credits of course work and a thesis defense. Average time to completion is two years. However, this is very much dependent on the student so completion may take longer.
|Website:||Atmospheric Science (MSc) at The University of British Columbia - Vancouver - Faculty of Graduate Studies|
|Areas of Research:||* boundary layer and micrometeorology, including turbulence and urban meteorology
* weather, including mesoscale meteorology, numerical weather prediction and weather disasters
* air pollution and atmospheric chemistry
* climate, including climatology, climate variability and prediction, earth system modelling, climate change, remote sensing of clouds
* ocean-atmosphere interactions
* biometeorology, including agricultural and forest meteorology
* geophysical fluid dynamics
|Cost per year:||
|Grade for Entrance Previous Year (%)*:||76|
A bachelor's degree in an area of science or applied science and must meet the general admission requirements for master's degree programs set by the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
Applicants whose degrees are from a university outside Canada in which English is not the primary language of instruction must present evidence of competency to pursue studies in the English language prior to being extended an offer of admission.
|Additional Admission Requirements:||
* We make every attempt to provide accurate information on prerequisites, programs, and tuition. However, this information is subject to change without notice and we highly recommend that you contact the school to confirm important information before applying.
Modified on August 17, 2012
Booth University College
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
University of Calgary
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada
Les Roches International School of Hotel Management
Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology
Toronto, Ontario, Canada