University of Waterloo
|School:||University of Waterloo
|Faculty:||Faculty of Mathematics
|Field of Study:||Applied Mathematics
|Description:||Applied Mathematics is a challenging but exciting and practical area of study. As a discipline it occupies the fertile ground between Pure Mathematics on one side and science and engineering on the other. Traditionally, Applied Mathematics has been closely associated with physics but nowadays it encompasses a broad range of areas of application including biology, medicine, and economics.
All Applied Mathematics programs incorporate foundational courses in Calculus, Differential Equations, and Computational Methods, together with a choice of specialized courses, which can be tailored to your own interests. The foundational courses provide the tools for formulating and analyzing mathematical models in a broad range of disciplines. The specialized courses provide an introduction to the areas of research in the department and are taught by professors who are actively involved in the research. The focus in all our courses is the development of intellectual discipline and reasoning abilities that will make you versatile and effective in meeting challenges in the workplace or in graduate school.
|URL:||Applied Mathematics at University of Waterloo
|Cost per year:*||
|Grade for Entrance Previous Year (%)*||87
These courses are intended as guidelines. Speak to your guidance counsellor to see what courses are offered at your school.
- Grade12 English
- Grade12 Advanced Functions
- Grade12 Calculus and Vectors
Grade 12 M Computer and Information Science or one other Grade 12 U course is required. Grade 11 Computer and Information Science is recommended.
A minimum final overall average of 80% or higher is required on your best 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses, including required courses.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (Internet Based) [min. 90] or Michigan English Language Assessment Battery [min. 80] or International English Language Testing System (academic or immigration) [min. 6.5] or Canadian Academic English Language Assessment [min. 75]
* The entrance grade may change from year to year. Please contact the school for further information.
* We make every attempt to provide accurate information on prerequisites, programs, and tuition. However, this information is subject to change without notice and we highly recommend that you contact the school to confirm important information before applying.