Top 5 Tips For Job Hunting
Get fully prepared for your summer job search.
School’s out for the summer and there is one thing on everyone’s mind; relaxing! While summer is the perfect time for some fun in the sun, it’s also a good time to get a job. You’ll earn some money, gain marketable skills, build your resume, and it will help you identify your interests and future career goals.
Applying for jobs can be challenging, but these helpful tips and tricks will have you fully prepared to land the summer job of your dreams.
- 1. Start your job search: Find out what types of jobs interest you and begin conducting online searches for postings in your area. Our Career Education Resources page has many websites that will help get you started.
- 2. Network: The saying, “it’s all about who you know” is accurate. Use your network of friends, family, and acquaintances to see if they know anyone who is hiring and don’t be shy about asking for a reference.
- 3. Apply: Once you’ve found a few positions that pique your interest, polish up your résumé and cover letter and start applying. It’s best to tailor your correspondence to each specific job posting and be sure to showcase your relevant skills and experiences.
- 4. Interview: Congratulations on landing an interview! They can be daunting, but taking the time to research the history and strategic objectives of the company to which you are applying and by thinking about why you want the job and how your skills align with the position will have you fully equipped to create a lasting impression. Take a look at our Job Search and Informational Interviews page for tips on the interviewing process and what to expect!
- 5. Relax! Perhaps the most important tip – remember to stay calm and have confidence in the skills that you bring to the table.
For more information on job searches, check out Nipissing’s Student Development and Services site. Best of luck to you!