How To Find The Right School
Learn the important things to look for in a post-secondary institution!
Searching for the right college or university can be a daunting but exciting task. There are so many things to consider while exploring post-secondary options, and Canada is home to many world-class post-secondary institutions, all of which are unique. While it is important to discuss with your guidance counsellor, parents, guardians, and peers it ultimately comes down to what the best fit is for you. Below are a few tips on How to find the right school:
- Programs – many institutions offer a select number of programs, it’s important to narrow down the schools that offer programs that will best prepare you for your career goals.
- Location – do you want to be close to home, or on the other side of the country? Do you want to be in a big city or small town? It’s important to think about where you can see yourself for the next chapter.
- Cost – this can tie in with location. Some provinces also offer lowered tuition and rebates for its residents, check with your provincial government to see what your home province offers. Check out an example of what a year of university can cost: http://www.smu.ca/calculator
- Extracurricular programs and experiential learning opportunities – You get out what you put in to work and play outside of the classroom. Many schools have a variety of societies, intramural or club sports, co-op, research, and study abroad opportunities just waiting for you!
- Admission requirements – Make sure you don’t sell yourself short, look in advance to see the admission requirements for your desired school and program to ensure you meet the standards.
Universities and Colleges want what’s best for you and have admissions staff in place to help give you information so you can make a well-informed decision of where you would like to study.